FAQs for Liability Insurance

Please find below FAQs for Liability Insurance.

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contact Howden on 0121 698 8061.

What is liability insurance?

Liability insurance is a defensive cover that protects against claim made against you, including the cost of legal fees. Rounders England has arranged the following classes of insurance cover for the protection of its teams, leagues, members, affiliated coaches, activators, umpires, officials :

  • PUBLIC LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared activities.
  • PRODUCT LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of any goods sold or supplied.
  • PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY: Professional Indemnity cover is provided to protect coaches for claims arising out of Errors or Omissions in respect of the professional advice that they give whilst coaching.
  • LIBEL AND SLANDER: Includes defamation.
  • OWNER'S LIABILITY: Protection against liability arising out of the use, ownership or possession of any club premises.
  • DIRECTORS' & OFFICERS' LIABILITY: Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting in mismanagement.

Cover includes member-to-member liability, meaning that the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them.

^ top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

^ top

What activities are covered?

The policies provides cover for all activities recognised by Rounders England, which includes playing, training for and competing in rounders.

^ top

What significant exclusions and limitations apply?

  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers). This would be covered under an Employers' Liability insurance policy
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Pollution, unless caused by a sudden identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing Rounders England on a official trip
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Damage to products supplied and work and the repair, replacement or recall of same work
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, asbestos
  • Repair of defects in premises disposed of
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, damage to any data
  • Nuclear risks
  • War risks
  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Infringement, use or disclosure of a patent
  • Any discrimination, harassment or unfair treatment
  • Abuse - any party who commits, condones or ignores any abuse or molesation
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced.
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately

^ top

Why is the limit of indemnity £10m?

In the event of a claim your limit of indemnity is the maximum your policy will pay for damages. We believe that £10m is the minimum amount of cover to provide you with peace of mind in the event that you were held responsible for causing an injury to an individual and we have already seen sports related claims that have exceeded £5m.

^ top

Why is Professional Indemnity included?

Professional Indemnity provides cover for incidents that result from negligent advice. If you are a coach, activator, umpire, official etc.. this cover will protect you in the event that an injury results from your negligent act or omission in your advice.

^ top

Why is Libel and Slander cover included?

There have been cases of members of sports clubs/teams having disputes. Posts on web sites and details contained in emails could be potentially libellous, for example, and, should your club arrange cover under the sports & recreation liability scheme, this section of cover will protect you if it is alleged that you have defamed someone else in good faith.

^ top

What do I do if an incident occurs?

You should immediately record relevant information concerning incidents involving a fatality, an injury involving either referral to or actual hospital treatment, in your accident book. These incidents, and any allegations of libel / slander, any allegations of professional negligence, i.e. arising out of tuition, coaching or advice given, any investigation under any child protection legislation or any circumstance involving damage to third party property, should be reported to Howden immediately.

If there is a verbal / written allegation against you, you should advise Sofia Hussain at Howden immediately on 0121 698 8042, and pass on any documentation you may have received

^ top

Does the cover include Legal Expenses?

Yes but only for:

  • Legal expenses for defence of civil actions
  • Legal defence costs are included for the defence of criminal actions brought in respect of a breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and Section II of the Consumer Protection Act 1987. The limit of indemnity is £250,000

^ top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no policy excesses in resepct of a liability claim made against you.

^ top

If I am injured can I claim from the policy?

If you are injured pand have prevuosly purchased the Personal Accident cover via your team please contact Howden on 0121 698 8046 to check whether you are eligible to claim

^ top

Does the policy cover anyone who is not defined as a UK resident?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for recognised activities in both the UK and overseas (but excluding USA and Canada), provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised by Rounders England (i.e. to a training camp or to take part in a recognised competition).

Overseas coaches working on a temporary basis in the UK will have to extend their liability cover from their home country to cover their activities in the UK.

^ top

Who can submit an incident report?

If you are involved in an incident where you have injured someone else or caused damage to property, you should contact Howden on 0121 698 8046.

^ top